Stu Tucker Photography, a Bath & Bristol Wedding Photographer.
Barrow Court Wedding
The first recorded Lord of the Manor of Barrow was Geoffrey, Bishop of Coutances (CL 1902), but by the C13 it was in Crown ownership and William Rufus granted it to Robert Fitzhardinge, via the marriage of whose granddaughter it came into the Gournay family. It was from this family that the neighbouring village of Barrow Gurney took its name. The house stands on the site of a Benedictine nunnery founded by the C14, and possibly as early as c 1200 (Iann Barron pers comm, 2002) whose first recorded prioress was Joan de Gournay. A deer park is known to have been established in the medieval period (Bond 1998), and The Conygar is recorded as the name of a wood c 300m south-west of the house on early OS maps. The estate went through various owners until the Dissolution, after which Henry VIII granted it to John Drew of Bristol, who converted the core of the present house between 1537 and 1539. In 1602 it was sold to Dr Francis James, a lawyer, who altered and extended the house to its present E-shaped form. In 1659 the estate was sold to William Gore, in whose family it descended through the C18 and much of the C19, although in the early C19 it was being used only as an occasional residence.